Enriching the Future of Our Profession
As future public relations professionals, we must understand how to communicate effectively with a diverse population. By fostering Chapters with diverse membership and leadership, we can build stronger relationships with the professional community and enrich the public relations industry as a whole.
The definition of diversity is broad. PRSSA embraces all individuals regardless of background, culture, education, major, age, disability, gender and sexual orientation. PRSSA recognizes the importance of different experiences, perspectives and voices in making a viable Society that aids the profession.
Initiatives like the Dr. F.H. Teahan Chapter Diversity Award encourage Chapters to seek diversity among its leaders and members.
The Diversity Initiative
In 2005, members of the PRSSA National Committee adopted the Diversity Initiative (PDF). The Initiative, which was updated in 2014, encourages Chapters to recruit and retain a diverse membership that is representative of the demographic composition of the Chapter’s college or university. The PRSSA Diversity Toolkit (PDF) provides Chapters with guidelines for supporting diversity on their campuses.
Diversity and PRSA
PRSSA policies on diversity reflect the policies of PRSA. For case studies, articles and other news and information on diversity-related issues, see PRSA’s diversity webpage.
HBCU and HACU Chapters
PRSSA is proud to have 15 Chapters at institutions registered as Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) and 22 Chapters at institutions recognized by the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU). HBCU were established before 1964 to serve the Black and African-American community. HACU include more than 450 colleges and universities committed to Hispanic students seeking higher education in the United States, Puerto Rico, Latin America, Spain and Portugal.
- Alabama State University
- Delaware State University
- Howard University
- Florida A&M University
- Florida Memorial University
- Clark Atlanta University
- Savannah State University
- Southern University and A&M College
- Xavier University of Louisiana
- Bowie State University
- North Carolina A&T State University
- Hampton University
- Norfolk State University
- Virginia State University
- West Virginia State University
- Edward’s University
- Texas State University
- The University of Texas at Arlington
- The University of Texas at San Antonio
- The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
- University of Houston
- West Texas A&M University
- The University of New Mexico
- San Diego State University
- San Jose State University
- California State University, Northridge
- California State University, Sacramento
- California State University, San Bernardino
- Loyola Marymount University
- California Lutheran University
- California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
- California State University, Bakersfield
- California State University, Dominguez Hills
- California State University, East Bay
- California State University, Fresno
- California State University, Fullerton
- California State University, Long Beach