Meetings and Events
Chapter meetings and events are among the most important tools you have for recruiting and motivating members. The ideas below can help you address the different interests of your members while also giving them a range of opportunities to learn.
If possible, meet at a consistent time and location so members can always have it in their schedules.
Adequately Publicize Chapter Meetings
There are many media you can use to properly promote your Chapter meetings such as:
- Mass Chapter emails
- Social media
- Campus newspaper
- College bulletin boards, message boards, broadcast emails, etc.
- Professors and classroom presentations
- Magnets for dormitory refrigerators
- Bookmarks for the campus textbook store
- Word of mouth
- Create an agenda with specific objectives and goals for your meeting. See a sample in the Chapter Handbook (PDF).
- Avoid group discussion of matters that only pertain to a small portion of those in attendance.
- Be punctual regarding start and end times.
- Have one person lead the meeting.
- At the end of each agenda item, briefly summarize what has been accomplished and decided, emphasizing due dates and action items.
Chapter leaders frequently ask what type of events they can host and/or how to keep meetings fresh and creative. Here are our tips:
- Survey members or have a Chapter brainstorming session at the beginning of the planning year to find out what they are interested in learning at meetings and what they expect to get out of their membership.
- Invite a professor or local professional to speak. Topics can include:
- Job and internship advice
- Resume and portfolio building
- Mock interviews
- Industry-focused public relations (entertainment, health care, nonprofit, government, corporate, etc.)
- Agency vs. in-house public relations
- Host a case study competition. Create teams with members or invite nearby Chapters to join.
- Take your Chapter on an agency visit. These are a great way for your members to network, learn and get a taste of work life in public relations.
- Plan an after-meeting dinner, have a holiday party, host a Homecoming tailgate or organize a Chapter retreat.
- Bring your membership together to participate in a PRSSA National Twitter chat.