Start a Chapter
Enhance Your Education
Having a PRSSA Chapter on your campus enhances your classroom experience by giving you access to leadership opportunities, professional development events, and PRSSA and professional news and intelligence. You become part of a national network of public relations students, educators and professionals.
Read the exciting accomplishments of our Chapters, or browse a list of all Chapters. Learn how to join PRSSA.
If you are interested in starting a Chapter, review the guidelines below and the charter application form (Word or PDF) to see if your school is eligible. Contact PRSSA Headquarters if you have questions.
- School Requirements. To be eligible, your school must be a four-year college or university that offers baccalaureate degrees and is nationally or regionally accredited.
- Required Courses. Confirm that your college or university offers a sequence of at least five public relations courses and is supplemented by additional courses relevant to public relations. See the charter application form (Word or PDF) for the list of specific required courses.
- Endorsement. Secure endorsement from a PRSA sponsor Chapter. You can find contact information of these Chapters on the PRSA website.
- Students. Find ten or more students who will join your new PRSSA Chapter. Eight of the students must be at or below the junior level.
- Faculty Adviser. Every Chapter must have a Faculty Adviser. The Adviser must teach one of the approved public relations courses and be a member or associate member of PRSA.
- Professional Adviser. Every Chapter must also have a Professional Adviser who has at least five years of public relations experience and is a PRSA member.
- Application Fee. Send a $100 non-refundable application fee with your application.
Submitting an Application
To apply, schools must submit the following:
- Two copies of the completed application and proposed bylaws.
- Two copies of each syllabus for the required public relations courses.
- Two copies of the teacher biographies.
- A copy of the current college/university catalogue.
- A non-refundable application fee of $100, payable to PRSSA.
If your school meets all the criteria, mail the completed charter application form (Word or PDF) to PRSSA Headquarters.
PRSSA Charter Applications
33 Maiden Lane, 11th Fl., New York, NY 10038-5150
Learn more about starting a Chapter by reviewing the charter application form (Word or PDF).