Lawrence G. Foster Award for Excellence in Public Relations
Deadline: June 8, 2018
Award: $1,500 award. This award will be payable to the winner’s university for use on his or her behalf, and can only be used to directly fund the winner’s educational pursuits.
EligibilityAll PRSSA members are welcome to apply.
To apply, send the following materials to PRSSA Headquarters:
- The application form (Word or PDF), SIGNED by candidate AND Faculty Adviser.
- Letter of recommendation from your Chapter’s Faculty or Professional Adviser.
- An essay of 1,000 to 1,200 words that describes:
- The definition of excellence in public relations and how you plan to achieve it in your future career.
- The ethical and work standards that are required of public relations professionals and how you plan to excel in these areas.
- A list of leadership qualities you believe are most important in public relations, and why.
Make sure all materials are error free and thoroughly proofread. All application materials must be received at PRSSA Headquarters (not just postmarked) by 5 p.m. EDT, June 8, 2018. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
PRSSA — Lawrence G. Foster Award
120 Wall Street, 21st Fl., New York, NY 10005-4024
About Lawrence G. Foster
When Larry Foster graduated from Penn State in 1948, he joined the Newark News, New Jersey’s largest daily newspaper, and for the next ten years was a reporter, bureau chief, and night editor. He went to Johnson & Johnson in 1957 to help form the health care company’s first public relations department. Foster later became Corporate Vice President of Public Relations and a leader in the profession. He and his associates received national recognition for their management of the Tylenol tragedies. PRWEEK named Foster one of the ten most influential public relations professionals of the 20th Century. After 33 years with Johnson & Johnson, Foster retired and wrote Robert Wood Johnson: The Gentleman Rebel. To honor one of its most distinguished graduates, The Penn State College of Communications and the Penn State Chapter of PRSSA have established the Lawrence G. Foster Award for Excellence in Public Relations.
- 2016–2017 Emma Ingram, American University
- 2015–2016 Ryann Lynn, University of Nebraska, Lincoln
- 2014–2015 Justin Topa, Wilkes University
- 2013–2014 Jaclyn LeBatard, University of South Alabama
- 2012–2013 Maria Esposito, Georgia College & State College
- 2011–2012 Sarah Rohner, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
- 2010–2011 Monique Gonzalez, California State University of Northridge
- 2009–2010 Rebecca Cicione, Rowan University
- 2008–2009 Angela Marie Fischer, Brigham Young University
- 2007–2008 Rosie Braude, Rowan University
- 2006–2007 Brendan J. McEvoy, Pennsylvania State University
- 2005–2006 Mark Taylor II, Florida A&M University
- 2004–2005 Kevin Saghy, Ohio Northern University
- 2003–2004 Misty Sue DeMichael, Otterbein College
- 2002–2003 Lorena Nava, San Diego State University
- 2001–2002 Jacqueline Wilson, University of Northern Iowa