Marcia Silverman Minority Student Award
Deadline: June 12, 2015
The scholarship check will be payable to the winner’s university for use on his or her behalf, and can only be used to directly fund the winner’s educational pursuits.
This scholarship is made possible by the PRSA Foundation.
To apply, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a journalism program, public relations studies or courses preparing for a career in public relations.
- Be entering your senior year of undergraduate studies this fall.
- Have a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Be of African-American/Black, Hispanic/Latino, Asian, Native American, Alaskan Native or Pacific Islander ancestry.
Your application will be judged using the following criteria:
- Academic achievement in public relations and overall studies.
- Demonstrated leadership on or off campus.
- Practical experience, e.g. internships, other work/service.
- Commitment to public relations, particularly as expressed in the candidate’s statement.
- Writing skills as demonstrated throughout the application.
- Letters of recommendation.
This award application requires that you submit four typed copies of the following materials:
- An application form (Word or PDF) signed by both you and a faculty member or PRSSA Adviser.
- A letter of recommendation, no more than two pages, from either a faculty member or PRSSA Adviser.
- No more than two additional letters of recommendation from internship employers, educators or others.
- A one page résumé.
Make sure all materials are error free and thoroughly proofread. All four copies of your application materials must all be received at PRSSA Headquarters (not just postmarked) June 12, 2015. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
PRSSA — Marcia Silverman Minority Student Award
33 Maiden Lane, 11th Floor, New York, NY 10038
About Marcia Silverman
Marcia Silverman, chair at Ogilvy, has spent her entire career as a champion for our profession, not only by leading one of the industry’s outstanding global agencies, but also by personally demonstrating to corporate, government and civic leaders the significant role public relations plays. She received the second Paladin Award from the PRSA Foundation in March.
- 2013–2014 Andrea Gils Monzon, Southeast Missouri State University
- 2012–2013 Victoria Maseda, Pennsylvania State University
- 2011–2012 Kiana Nicholas, Georgia State University
- 2010–2011 Gabriella Corriere, University of Arkansas at Little Rock
- 2009–2010 Sana Merchant, Southern Methodist University