Certificate in Principles of Public Relations
Setting yourself apart from other job candidates is a challenge. As you approach graduation, adding the Certificate in Principles of Public Relations to your resume is the leg up you need to secure the position you want.
Stand Out When You Start Out
Gaining the Certificate in Principles of Public Relations differentiates you from other new college graduates in public relations and related majors who have not passed the Certificate examination.
Note that the Certificate is available only to students who are:
- (a) within six months of graduation (before or after) from an accredited college or university whose degree is in public relations or a related area of study; AND
- (b) members of the Public Relations Student Society of America or student member of another UAB Participating Organization, such as the Florida Public Relations Association or the Southern Public Relations Federation.
The Certificate in Principles of Public Relations Online Study Course, developed by faculty members of the PRSA Educators Academy and produced by the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA), helps you prepare for taking the computer-based examination.
This Online Study Course offers thirteen lessons about current KSAs (knowledge, skills and abilities) tested on the examination. Each lesson module is self-paced and runs approximately one-half hour; some are longer. Faculty subject matter experts present content, tips and brief learning checks (quizzes) that can help you focus your studying. Each speaker provides contact information at the end of the lesson, should you have content questions. The thirteen lessons are:
- Communications Theories
- Communications Models
- Media Relations
- Information Technology
- Business Literacy
For a complete list of colleges and universities offering the Certificate program visit the UAB website.
Chapter Faculty Advisers can request participation in the program by contacting Kathy Mulvihill at Accred@praccreditation.org.
Earning the Certificate in Four Steps
- Review and complete The Certificate in Principles of Public Relations Application.
- Attend a certificate preparatory course.
- Study for and complete the computer-based examination.
- Demonstrate a commitment to lifelong learning through Accreditation.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Tested
- The Certificate in Principles of Public Relations Application: (PDF) or (Word)
- Certificate in Principles of Public Relations Faculty Coordinator Form (PDF)
- Certificate in Principles of Public Relations Study Guide
- More Than 320 Students Have Earned the Certificate in Principles of Public Relations Press Release
- More students are now eligible to earn the Certificate in Principles of Public Relations